Saturday, November 13, 2010

We've Got a Stage-Five Clinger

I could blog about a variety of strange things that happen to me. Many of which, you probably wouldn’t even believe. Unless you’ve been there, they just seem so far fetched. Like the time that I was offered a soldier’s class ring on a flight from Atlanta to Louisville. Yep. This stranger actually argued with me and wanted me to take it very badly. So much in fact, that he dropped it in my lap and then refused to take it back. I didn’t end up with it and sometimes I regret that. Maybe then, I could post a picture and you might believe me. The most recent story that I am about to tell you about still “boggles my mind”, as my dear statistics professor, Dr. Miller would say.

Have you ever been on a blind date? I have. Once. I never will again. I was set up with this guy by someone I work with. She invited us both to dinner at her house on a Saturday night for the grand introduction. The food was great, I enjoy the company of this friend, her husband and children…and the guy was pretty cute and seemed nice enough. After dinner, we had some conversation and watched some of the WKU football game on TV. He asks me if I would like to go get some coffee. Sure. Why not? He’s nice enough. We get coffee and hang out for a little bit and then I go meet up with some friends.

The following day was Sunday and I went shopping with my friends in Nashville. On our way home, he texts me and says that he took a chance and stayed in town (he’s from Indiana, by the way) in hopes that I would have dinner with him. Sure. He’s nice enough. Dinner goes well and we have good conversation. This guy is actually a nice person and is pretty cute. We say our goodbyes and then Monday and Tuesday during the day, we text a little. I was feeling under the weather, so I doped myself up on some nyquil and passed out at around 8 pm on that Tuesday. When I woke up on Wednesday morning, I had FIVE missed calls, THREE voicemails and  a few text messages. From this guy. I actually noticed that one text was from about 6:30 that morning. At 7:10, he calls me while I am brushing my teeth. I answer and let him know that I am brushing my teeth and will call him back. I finish my whole bathroom routine (washing my face, brushing my teeth, etc, etc) and then call him back. His response? “Took you a long time to brush your teeth.” Okay, guy. Calm down. I wasn’t lying, number one. And B, I met you on Saturday. I let him know that I am busy and running behind and have to hurry to get ready for school. He texts me a little while later and it says, “I’m just a little discouraged. Can we start over?” Excuse me? Start over? We just met! What do we have to do over? Needless to say, I pulled a typical “guy move” and didn’t return any phone calls/texts and didn’t have any contact with him. He texted often, called several times, even showed up at my door on a Saturday morning. It has been since October 4th since I have heard from him. He looked up my school email and sent me a message. Then called to make sure that I had gotten the message.

I have never had anyone be that persistent in pursuing me. It wasn’t flattering and I didn’t enjoy it. I’m not so sure that there are any men out there that are middle of the road guys. Anyone who will do the pursuing and treat me well. Actually call when they say they will and pay some attention to me….but not overkill like my stalker story above. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

1 comment:

AlysonBlairKaufman said...

Omgosh that is so funny. If I had a dime for every time that happened to me... Oh and if I had a nickel for every time the opposite happened as well... I would be a very wealthy woman.
The worst is when you find someone who fits into the "middle ground" category but you're just not that into them. Isn't dating a bitch?

Ps. Your "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" reference at the end made me laugh out loud.