I like to talk. a lot. to strangers.I don’t really believe in “stranger danger”. But, in my defense, I must have an appearance that just invites them to strike up conversations with me as well, because I am not always the one to initiate the talking. Last summer, I went to visit Sammi and Trevor in Jackson for July 4th. We decided last minute to go to Memphis, since I had never been. That Memphis trip is a whole other blog in itself. Fast forward to July 5th. Sammi and I like to shop. a lot. So, we drug Trevor to the mall with us before heading back to Jackson. When we first got there, we decided to go to the food court for lunch. They went to the restauraunt of their choice and I chose Subway. While waiting in line, the older man in front of me started talking to me. Conversations with strangers always start out awkwardly. This one was no different, but then it turned into actual conversation. He works in the mall and was getting something to eat before his shift. When we got to the register he offered to pay for my meal. Didn’t ask for a phone number, didn’t try to hit on me. Just simply paid for my meal, said, “nice to meet you” and was on his merry little way to work. It was awfully strange for me and I had never had that happen before. It hasn’t happened since. Until this morning.
I am taking summer classes and I have Spanish II on Monday thru Friday from 8-10:15. Ouch. Happy Summer! I had my first test this morning, so I thought I would treat myself and use up part of my Starbucks gift card to get a coffee on my way to campus. I pulled into the drive thru that was wrapped around the building and began the long wait. To pass the time, I got out my spanish note cards and studied some vocabulary. I eventually made my way to order and continued to study while waiting. Minding my own business, right? I get up to the window, begin to hand her my gift card, when she says, “The car in front of you paid for your coffee. Have a happy Thursday!” WHAT?! I can’t even remember what kind of car it was in front of me…did I know the person…was it a cute boy? I was grateful and it put me in a good mood, but I was a little surprised. I thought getting something paid for by a complete stranger only happens once in your life (if you’re lucky)…that’s twice now.
So…who’s paying for dinner tonight?!
I am taking summer classes and I have Spanish II on Monday thru Friday from 8-10:15. Ouch. Happy Summer! I had my first test this morning, so I thought I would treat myself and use up part of my Starbucks gift card to get a coffee on my way to campus. I pulled into the drive thru that was wrapped around the building and began the long wait. To pass the time, I got out my spanish note cards and studied some vocabulary. I eventually made my way to order and continued to study while waiting. Minding my own business, right? I get up to the window, begin to hand her my gift card, when she says, “The car in front of you paid for your coffee. Have a happy Thursday!” WHAT?! I can’t even remember what kind of car it was in front of me…did I know the person…was it a cute boy? I was grateful and it put me in a good mood, but I was a little surprised. I thought getting something paid for by a complete stranger only happens once in your life (if you’re lucky)…that’s twice now.
So…who’s paying for dinner tonight?!
No comments:
Post a Comment