Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Class Friends

When first seeing a guy out somewhere and having that initial attraction, I always look at their left hand for a ring. It's become sort of a habit of mine. That way, I can kinda tell if I can even pursue this attraction or if I just have to admire from afar.

This summer, I took a statistics class. In this class was a good mix of males and females. This is not likely in many education classes (they are almost always full of females), but there were some other majors in this class, as well. The first day is always a bit awkward if you do not know anyone. Where do you sit? When you choose your seat, you are socially expected to have this seat for the remainder of the course. I took my seat beside of a girl who looked friendly enough. The seat to my right was open. It remained open, so I was pretty happy. We were seated at long tables, so I could spread out and have as much room as I'd like. I noticed a hot boy seated on the right side of the room at a table that was perpendicular to my table. He was just my type. He was stocky, good muscles, dark hair and eyes, good dresser. We made eye contact a few times and smiled. When the professor would make goofy jokes, hot boy would look at me and roll his eyes or smirk. A day or two of this went on, but we never spoke. Class would dismiss and I would be on my happy little way to walk to the car and head home. A few days into the class, I walk in and hot boy is sitting in the previously empty seat beside of me. We chatted a little bit. Talked about where we taught and what we taught. We shared notes and compared homework. He was becoming my "class friend" and I was enjoying this. We started walking to our cars together and chatting about more personal things in life, like where we went to college and where we were from. The class lasted for a month and during the last week, I overheard the professor saying something about hot boy having to take the final early and they were working out a time where this would be possible. I figured it had something to do with hot boy's baseball team. He coached the baseball team of one of the high schools here in Bowling Green. When hot boy returned to his seat beside of me, I asked about him having to take the final early. His response was that he was getting married this weekend, so he would be on his honeymoon. HOLD UP! Men should have to wear engagement rings...I'm just sayin'.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh, I totally agree. Not that I’m looking at anyone’s left hand anymore, but there should be some sort of sign!

Anonymous said...

Or you could go on a few dates with one of these guys, realize that the date never lasts past 9:30pm and discover that he is married with 2 kids...

AlysonBlairKaufman said...

OMG!!!! I can't believe that!!! That's horrible!!! But he was totally flirting with you. I mean c'mon, there is no way he just HAPPENED to pick the empty seat next to you by total coinkidink. What a shmuck.