What is the true definition of a “cougar”? This term has become widely used recently. There is even a TV show with Courtney Cox (whom I love very much) called CougarTown. So, what exactly is a cougar? When you look it up on Merriam-Webster.Com, a website that I frequent, there is only one entry found. That definition is: A large powerful tawny-brown cat. Since I couldn’t find the definition that fit what I was looking for, I was forced to turn to Urban Dictionary. This website never fails to disappoint. I definitely found the definition I was looking for. This definition of “cougar” is: A 35+ year old female who is on the “hunt” for a much younger, energetic, willing-to-do-anything male. The cougar can frequently be seen in a padded bra, cleavage exposed, propped up against a swanky bar in San Francisco (or other cities)waiting, watching, calculating; gearing up to sink her claws into an innocent young and strapping buck who happens to cross her path. “Man is cougar’s number one prey”.
Now that you know what the real definition of cougar is, onto my story. Early last week a friend who I have not seen in a number of years asked me to hang out on Friday. He and I share the same last name and I also have the exact same name as his sister. Doesn’t get more platonic than that, right?! We met, because I was engaged to one of his fraternity brothers and we always ended up hanging out when we were at the same places as one another. I agreed to go to a house party with him. He said that there would be a number of people in attendance and that we would be playing the wii and some board games. We get there and there sure is not a number of people. There are exactly 5 couples. We are considered to be one of those five. I can see the panic on his face, because it now seems as though he has asked me on a date. I let him know I will enjoy myself and be his faux date regardless.
I was enjoying myself and had even been doing pretty great in some of the games that we were playing. During the last card game of the night (That I won, might I add), the people in attendance started talking about how old they are. The conversation started out like this: Girl, “I feel like I have done everything that I need to in life. I am married and ready to have kids now. I mean, I am 23.” I just sat there speechless. What do you say to something like that? I do not feel like I am anywhere near accomplishing what I want to in life. I hope that when I am married I do not feel like this. There are still so many places that I want to visit and there is so much more that I want to and need to do in my life. I sat there in a panic as everyone around the table chimed in adding how old they are. It was everything from 22 to 24. I guess that they realized how quiet I was being, because someone asked me how old I am. My response being, “I will be 27 next month.” This was followed by the sound of crickets. If I had dropped a pin, you would have definitely heard it. The girl proceeds to laugh and says, “Oh! You’re a cougar!”
Now that you know what the real definition of cougar is, onto my story. Early last week a friend who I have not seen in a number of years asked me to hang out on Friday. He and I share the same last name and I also have the exact same name as his sister. Doesn’t get more platonic than that, right?! We met, because I was engaged to one of his fraternity brothers and we always ended up hanging out when we were at the same places as one another. I agreed to go to a house party with him. He said that there would be a number of people in attendance and that we would be playing the wii and some board games. We get there and there sure is not a number of people. There are exactly 5 couples. We are considered to be one of those five. I can see the panic on his face, because it now seems as though he has asked me on a date. I let him know I will enjoy myself and be his faux date regardless.
I was enjoying myself and had even been doing pretty great in some of the games that we were playing. During the last card game of the night (That I won, might I add), the people in attendance started talking about how old they are. The conversation started out like this: Girl, “I feel like I have done everything that I need to in life. I am married and ready to have kids now. I mean, I am 23.” I just sat there speechless. What do you say to something like that? I do not feel like I am anywhere near accomplishing what I want to in life. I hope that when I am married I do not feel like this. There are still so many places that I want to visit and there is so much more that I want to and need to do in my life. I sat there in a panic as everyone around the table chimed in adding how old they are. It was everything from 22 to 24. I guess that they realized how quiet I was being, because someone asked me how old I am. My response being, “I will be 27 next month.” This was followed by the sound of crickets. If I had dropped a pin, you would have definitely heard it. The girl proceeds to laugh and says, “Oh! You’re a cougar!”
No comments:
Post a Comment