Sunday, November 14, 2010

And now you know....the rest of the story

So. I have kept quiet for long enough. I want to put the real story out there. My version, at least. This also might help some of you understand why I have been so "gun shy" when it comes to dating.

My friend Gina Marie was getting married and decided on a destination bachelorette party. Her choice was Destin. OF COURSE, I was in! I had a wonderful time with her and made a few new friends. Our last night down there, we went out to celebrate her "last fling before the ring".






Almost at the very end of the night, we met a group of guys. There were two of them in kilts and then two in suits. Of course the girls took a liking to the kilt boys. As I stood by watching, one of the boys in a suit started up a conversation. He made a joke that included a Talladega Nights quote. I got it right away, of course. Duh...I am Will Ferrell's second wife, after all. Nothing happened between suit boy and I this night. We only talked. At the end of the night, we exchanged email addresses...yeah, who does that? I do, apparently. We emailed a few times back and forth, nothing too serious. He lived in Japan and I lived with my boyfriend. What could possibly happen? We ended up becoming myspace friends. There was a lot that happened between then and the rest of my story. Long story short...we ended up dating. A boy in Japan and a girl in Kentucky. I was crazy to think that this could actually work out. Unfortunately, I really thought so. We were together for a year and a half, so I wasn't exactly THAT crazy.

He is in the Air Force and therefore, was required to travel quite a bit. I was invited on several of these trips. We met up in Nashville a few times, I went to Japan, Texas, DC, Baltimore, Cancun and New Orleans with him. New Orleans was the last trip we took together and the last time that I saw him.







The first night of this New Orleans trip, we got into a HUGE blow out fight. I will not go into details of this blow out. All that you need to know is that I was alone on the streets of New Orleans. I was lucky to find our hotel and the room...they don't mess around with their hurricanes. When I got back to the room, suit boy had already made it and was fuming. Things were thrown (not at me - somewhat to his credit) and I confessed my love for him. I told him how much I cared about him and that I was in love with him. What a wonderful time to let him know how I'd been feeling for months. It had been a year and a half since we first started seeing each other. We had made it through a 6 month deployment and living in two different countries. We had made it through his neglecting to call me when he said that he would and his lying to me on countless occasions (this is only a STRONG suspicion). So, I fell in love. How? You tell me, because looking back, I never want to fall in love with anyone like this again. After my regretful love confession, he said nothing in return. We went to sleep and didn't talk anymore about it. The rest of the trip was rather awkward, but I was trying my best to have a normal time. When suit boy dropped me off at the airport, I knew that it would be the last time that I would ever see him again. Call it a woman's intuition or whatever you want. I just knew. I even made a point to tell him that I would miss him.

Keep in mind, suit boy still hadn't broken up with me. We talked on the phone shortly after and he said that he needed some time to think. He had just moved from Japan to Texas and had a lot of change. This was in February. MONTHS went by. I gave him space. No texts, no phone calls, no facebooking. I'm not an idiot. I knew that it was over after the first night in New Orleans when we had our blow out. We finally talked in like April or May and he "officially" broke up with me...way to go, suit boy! You did it! (I sincerely hope that you sense my sarcasm here)

These are my questions...Why would you ask me to travel to all of these places with you if you didn't care about me at all? Why would you want me to be the last person to see before a deployment and the first person to see after a deployment? Why would you pay to fly me all the way to Japan? I do not know a single other man who would do any of these things unless they really cared about someone. I was fooled and played.

Looking back, if you were to search all over his myspace or facebook page, you would never know that he had a "girlfriend". I didn't exist in his world. The whole thing hurt me a lot. BUT, I have been single (in my opinion - "official" or not) since February 15th. It has been the best thing to happen to me. I have really had time to think about what is important to me and what I want. It has taken me a long time, but I think that I am really ready to move on. It took me deleting suit boy from everything. I have thrown away countless amounts of pictures and other momentos. Even a book that I was given to read, because he desperately wanted to convert me to a Republican....trash. I am happy to say that I just don't even care. Sayonara, Suit Boy.

1 comment:

AlysonBlairKaufman said...

Wow... that was intense. I think that sometimes guys act so much like they care about a girl simply because they get lonely, and just want to have someone they can call. I also think that they could get so dependent on this that they actually convince themselves they're in love with a girl when they aren't. And being in this air force would make this especially true. But hey, that's just a theory. (A theory that's been proven accurate on several occasions.)
I've been single since february too, and even though it could get lonely at times, I think it's a very vital thing. Girls get very insecure in relationships, and sometimes we just need a little time off to ourselves to realize the importance of independence. This way, next time we do jump back into something serious, we'll know what's worth putting up with and when it's time to stand up for ourselves.