Tuesday, January 29, 2013

You are the weakest link - Goodbye!

I have struggled with the thought of deleting Facebook for quite some time now. I started my account way back in the day! I actually can't even tell you when it was exactly, but I know for sure that I was in college.

Facebook has really caused me nothing but grief. Drama, drama, drama. And I don't enjoy drama. What normal person does?! It has seemed to follow me throughout my entire Facebook life, though. It has caused me problems in my workplace, in my relationships with family and with friends. It causes me to be a judgmental person and it can make me angry. Who needs that in their life?! Not me. Not badly enough to keep it around. I would find myself looking at people's profile pages just to see what they had been doing and then I would find myself judging them. I had the app on my phone and I would waste time on my lunch and planning at school just to check facebook. What a waste of time! I could be talking with my friends at lunch or actually doing something productive on my planning.

For a while, I justified keeping it, because I wanted to keep in touch with family and friends who live far away. What a cop-out. I want to keep in touch with these people, but facebook is not the only means of communication. There are so many other meaningful ways to keep in touch with my friends and my family. So many of my relationships are "facebook based". The only reason that some of my friends know what is going on in my life is because of what I post on facebook. That's pathetic. Shouldn't my friends and I be calling one another to see how things are? Shouldn't we be face timing each other on our iphones (Which I've yet to do - ever)? Even a meaningful email to talk in private and in detail about what is going on in our lives?

I read THIS blog by Melissa Jo and it really inspired me to go through with it. It's definitely worth a read, so go there now!

Everything on Facebook is so public. Your photos, events and conversations with friends are seen by everyone. And now every time that you "like" something, everyone you are friends with sees that. It's just a little ridiculous in my opinion. It was to the point that I couldn't post song lyrics that I like without someone thinking that Matt and I had a huge blowout fight or I wanted to kill myself. Chill out, people. It's just a good song. I couldn't post a picture of myself holding a beer (which for the record hasn't even happened in several months now). I couldn't write what I wanted and I couldn't write what I meant. I had to read people's soapboxes on the second amendment and pro-life/pro-choice debates. I had to read people bashing our President. I get it. It's a place to post your opinions and if I don't like it, don't read it. It's much more complicated than that. I was friends with several people from school. Whether they be parents, teachers, instructional assistants, etc. If I deleted them, how does that look? Trust me - I've done that and it doesn't look very "professional". I call bullshit. Seriously. It should have been about my PERSONAL life, not my school life. But it wasn't. 

 For the most part my friends have been supportive. I have only had a few who questioned what I was doing. This does not have to be forever. If I choose, I can always start a new account. And this time, knowing what I know now, it will be a family and VERY close friends only account. Not an "everyone's gonna know my bid-ness" account.

So, it's gone. I officially deleted it on Thursday night and I haven't missed it one moment since.



5 comments:

P!nky said...

WOW! mad props to you. I've thought about it but never pulled the trigger.

xoxo

Melissa Jo said...

I am so happy and proud for you! I never thought my little post could influence someone else to deactivate. It will definitely change your habits. The good thing is now my family and friends send me pictures via text because they know I don't have facebook so I dont' see their posts - makes it so much more personal!

Carrie said...

Good for you! You are so right

Anna said...

I completely understand.

My mother freaking is the only reason I'm still on. (Which would actually just create more drama for me.)

Sar said...

Congrats Ashley! I deleted my Facebook almost a year ago, and very rarely log back on (to grab a random college friend's phone number, to stalk photos of my mother's house because she couldn't figure out how to send them via her phone, etc.). I don't miss it in the least, and it's very telling who's a good friend (myself included)! Here's hoping you love the journey.

Found you via blog hopping and LOVE your honesty!
-Sarah