Sunday, January 27, 2013

Baby Update!


We went to the doctor last Friday for a check-up. This was only the second time that I have been and I am a rookie. So I expected this huge ordeal like the first time. I expected an ultrasound and to SEE the baby. No. What a let down. UNTIL WE HEARD THE HEARTBEAT!! It was amazing, y'all. The most amazing sound I have ever heard.

It took the tech forever to find the little thing, so I laid there with my bare belly hanging out hearing alien noises. We could hear my heartbeat at times, which was kinda slow and then we heard something that was beating crazy fast! That was it!! And then the baby moved. WAMP WAMP! It took her forever to find the little booger again. Once she did, we got to hear it just long enough for her to tell us that it was beating at 174. I have to always ask if things are good. She assured me that this was a great number and that things looked good. When she left the room, Matt said that he wished he had a picture of my face when we got to hear it. I'm not even sure what I was doing, but I do know that I had tears in my eyes.

We got to talk to my doctor and I had a few questions for her. Mainly about constipation and headaches. Exciting stuff, right?! I got some answers and a coupon for some Miralax to help with constipation and we were on our merry little ways!

I go tomorrow afternoon for the First Trimester Screening. With this, they are going to do an ultrasound, so that they can measure the back of the baby's neck and then they take some of my blood. This test will check for Down Syndrome. Matt and I talked about whether or not to do this test. This is just a screening, it is not the invasive test that they can do {amniocentesis}. We decided to go ahead and do this test, so that if we are going to have a child with downs, we are able to prepare ourselves mentally, financially and educationally. I pray that I have a healthy baby, but if that means that I have a healthy baby with special needs, that's just what it is.

I am excited to actually get to see our baby this time! I hit the 12 week mark yesterday, by the way! :) I'll be back with more updates soon.

No comments: