Sunday, March 18, 2012

Frenemies

I have a pretty funny class this year. I love them, because they are always finding ways to be clever and I laugh all day. everyday. This is THE BEST class I have had in my six years of teaching. I needed a good class, let me tell ya. There is one boy this year who I always think to myself, "Self. When you have a kid, I hope he's as cool as this student." He is very thoughtful and I feel like I can have pretty in depth conversations with him. After Christmas he asked me what I got for Christmas (nobody else cared about me...just themselves). After I told him what I got, he asked me what the one thing was that I really wanted that I didn't get. WHO ARE YOU, KID?!


The other day, he proceeded to tell me about his "frenemy". When I asked him to explain what he meant, he told me that this kid in his neighborhood is his friend, but his arch nemesis, too. Hilarious explanation. But, have you ever put any thought into this? Is there anyone in your life that is not necessarily just an enemy, but you aren't completely on the friend level?


I know there is for me. There is someone in my life that I don't completely dislike, by any means. But I also do not completely trust them to be good friends with them. I know they feel the same way about it as I do. There is always some level of discomfort between us. Does this ever go away? Or are you always going to be frenemies? I think that it can go the other way. You can start as good friends and then end up as frenemies. Like on the movie Bride Wars. They were best friends in the beginning of the movie and slowly became frenemies and then full on enemies and then besties again. Strange. I just don't operate that way. But, can you ever start out as frenemies and then just become friends? Thought provoking...


So, tell me. Who is your frememy and why?

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I know we've talked about this before, but it's really hard for me to find true friends who are girls. Some girls are just catty, or they turn everything into a competition. I had (have?) a good friend who tried to rub every success she had in my face. I'm just not that kind of person. If your friends are really your friends, they will be happy for you no matter what and want you to be happy. Real friends can share their successes and failures with each other without fear of being judged or ridiculed. I SO learned this the hard way.

Tiffany said...

Glad to see you back!!!! I've missed you ma'am.